I’ve had a little break from the blogging, I didn’t realise how long it had been until today! I’m sorry it’s been so long! I’ve been working on designing and knitting my first jumper and seeing as maths has never been my strong point it’s been a big learning curve. More on that soon though! I’ve been meaning to post this little experiment I did with black beans. I’d seen some people had had great results getting some lovely blues so I thought I’d give it a go! I soaked some black bean in water for two days then skimmed the clear liquid off the top and divided it between three jars. I added 1 tbs of vinegar to one and 1tbs of baking soda to another and kept the third plain. I added a 10g skein to each that I’d already mordanted with alum and tartar. I shook them up and left them for two days before rinsing them in cold water. The results are the three skeins on the right! The baking soda made the lovely green shade on the far right, the middle of the three is the black bean liquid with nothing added and went a pale grey/blue, and the vinegar gave the yarn purple undertones. I decided to try it again using more concentrated dye liquid and leaving it for 3 days and got a much deeper colour. I used pure wool for the above skeins and I’ve seen a lot of people getting much brighter, deeper blues with superwash yarns. For some reason they take the black bean dye differently. But I’m still pretty please with how these turned out!

I’ve had a little break from the blogging, I didn’t realise how long it had been until today! I’m sorry it’s been so long! I’ve been working on designing and knitting my first jumper and seeing as maths has never been my strong point it’s been a big learning curve. More on that soon though! I’ve been meaning to post this little experiment I did with black beans. I’d seen some people had had great results getting some lovely blues so I thought I’d give it a go! I soaked some black bean in water for two days then skimmed the clear liquid off the top and divided it between three jars. I added 1 tbs of vinegar to one and 1tbs of baking soda to another and kept the third plain. I added a 10g skein to each that I’d already mordanted with alum and tartar. I shook them up and left them for two days before rinsing them in cold water. The results are the three skeins on the right! The baking soda made the lovely green shade on the far right, the middle of the three is the black bean liquid with nothing added and went a pale grey/blue, and the vinegar gave the yarn purple undertones. I decided to try it again using more concentrated dye liquid and leaving it for 3 days and got a much deeper colour. I used pure wool for the above skeins and I’ve seen a lot of people getting much brighter, deeper blues with superwash yarns. For some reason they take the black bean dye differently. But I’m still pretty please with how these turned out!