Lobster Mushrooms!

Today I wanted to share some dyeing I did recently! I’ve been wanting to try lobster mushrooms for ages and they grow in abundance at my boyfriend’s parents place. His lovely mum was kind enough to pick some and dry the orange top for me to take back when we went up to visit last.  The yarn I used was a merino/nylon sock yarn I’ve had in my stash for a while. I’ve actually dyed it before! It was one of my first natural dyeing adventures with red cabbage over a year ago. Red cabbage is notorious for not being very light fast and it had faded to a pale lavender grey, which was actually still really pretty but I like a bit more punch for my socks!  I simmered the mushrooms for around and hour and mashed them a little with a potato masher. I’d heard these mushrooms are really sensitive to ph so I added some washing soda to make the dye bath more alkaline and it turned bright pink! I let it cool overnight then strained the liquid and added the fibres and brought it to a simmer for around an hour and then left it to cool in the dye bath over night.  I’m so happy with the results! As soon as I have time I’ll be casting on a new pair of socks!

Today I wanted to share some dyeing I did recently! I’ve been wanting to try lobster mushrooms for ages and they grow in abundance at my boyfriend’s parents place. His lovely mum was kind enough to pick some and dry the orange top for me to take back when we went up to visit last.

The yarn I used was a merino/nylon sock yarn I’ve had in my stash for a while. I’ve actually dyed it before! It was one of my first natural dyeing adventures with red cabbage over a year ago. Red cabbage is notorious for not being very light fast and it had faded to a pale lavender grey, which was actually still really pretty but I like a bit more punch for my socks!

I simmered the mushrooms for around and hour and mashed them a little with a potato masher. I’d heard these mushrooms are really sensitive to ph so I added some washing soda to make the dye bath more alkaline and it turned bright pink! I let it cool overnight then strained the liquid and added the fibres and brought it to a simmer for around an hour and then left it to cool in the dye bath over night.

I’m so happy with the results! As soon as I have time I’ll be casting on a new pair of socks!